I’ve been interested in whales and dolphins since I was a kid, but until now I’d never seen a video that actually depicted a baleen whale gulping down food. As most everybody who pays any attention to this sort of thing knows, pretty much all of the big whales except the sperm whale are baleen feeders, meaning they have a huge filtering system which allows them to take in massive amounts of water and small fish, then filter out the water and keep the fish. I’ve heard this explained in textbooks, on documentaries, etc — but had never actually seen it up close until this video. Here is a diagram showing how it works:
In the video, when the whales breach, stop the video and go frame by frame. You’ll see thousands of terrified anchoves jumping in the second or so before the whales appear. You have to imagine these two huge beasts swimming fast deep below the surface, driving up, chasing the bait ball of anchovies until they have them pinned against the surface, then driving up and through the trapped fish with their huge mouths wide open. Pretty cool.
Year of the Spy Book Trailer
Above is the Year of the Spy Book Trailer — for my upcoming non-fiction book about espionage upheavals on the streets of Moscow in 1985.
Below is a “trailer” showcasing the writing and video services I provide to clients.
Michael Sellers — Writing and Video Services
- Arsha Sellers — Today I’m One Big Step Closer to Becoming a Real Forever Dad
- Meet Abby Sellers and Arshavin Sellers — My Wife, My Son, My Inspiration Every Day
- What the Mueller Report Actually Says
- Remembering James Blount, an American Who “Got” the Philippines in 1901
- America the Beautiful? You Mean America the Pitiful. I Am Ashamed