The Mayweather Ortiz fight is over in bizarre fashion, producing a moment second only to Mike Tyson biting a chunk out of Evander Holyfield’s ear in terms of outlandishness. Although Mayweather was the author of the bizarreness, to be sure, the sequence started with Ortiz head-butting Mayweather in apparent frustration as he pummeled Mayweather in the corner of the ring, but couldn’t land a clean shot on Mayweather. Referee Joe Cortez immediately, and properly, stopped the fight and awarded Mayweather a point. Ortiz apologized once, touched gloves a second time, setting the stage for the bizarre ending that followed.
The ending (see Youtube video below while it lasts) went like this:
- After signaling the judges that a point was to be deducted from Ortiz score, Cortez signalled the fight to resume, gesturing for the fighters to come together and fight. He did not appear to give any verbal command — just brought his hands together in the familiar movement that boxers understand to me “Box”.
- Instead of fighting, Ortiz went forward, apologizing again, touch gloves and embracing Mayweather while Cortez was looking away from the boxers to the ringside referees.
- Mayweather seemed to accept the apology and Ortiz stepped back, still acting as if he was waiting for Cortez to resume the fight.
- Mayweather sucker punched Ortiz with a left hook.
- Ortiz looked to the referee — who was still looking away, making eye contact with the two ringside referees, asking them “Are you ready” (why had he resumed the fight if they weren’t ready, and why was he not watching the boxers if the fight was back on?)
- Mayweather hit Ortiz with a haymaker right while Ortiz was completely defenseless, looking to the referee.
- Ortiz couldn’t get up – the fight was over.
Year of the Spy Book Trailer
Above is the Year of the Spy Book Trailer — for my upcoming non-fiction book about espionage upheavals on the streets of Moscow in 1985.
Below is a “trailer” showcasing the writing and video services I provide to clients.
Michael Sellers — Writing and Video Services
- Arsha Sellers — Today I’m One Big Step Closer to Becoming a Real Forever Dad
- Meet Abby Sellers and Arshavin Sellers — My Wife, My Son, My Inspiration Every Day
- What the Mueller Report Actually Says
- Remembering James Blount, an American Who “Got” the Philippines in 1901
- America the Beautiful? You Mean America the Pitiful. I Am Ashamed