Avatar’s weekend performance of $48.5M US Domestic Gross has carried James Cameron’s Sci-fi epic past a variety of new milestones as if flexes its muscles and continues to demonstrate that it will eventually surpass Titanic as the #1 All Time Box Office Hit. This weekend Avatar:
- Became the #1 Release in 2009, passing Transformers: Revenge of the Falling in overall US Domestic Box Office Gross
- Moved up three notches from 10th to 7th All Time Domestic Gross, passing Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Spider Man, and Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.
- Notched the best 4th Weekend ever, and its $48.5M was actually good enough to have won the best 3rd Weekend ever — beating Spider Man’s third frame of $45m
- Achieved the All-Time Best Opening Week in China with $40.5M
- Solidified its grip on #2 Worldwide at $1.331B, extending its lead over #3 Return of the King to a cool $210M and narrowing the gap with Titanic, whose $1.84B seems increasingly attainable.
Box Office analysts will be watching Monday’s figures closely to see what the dropoff is, but all indications are that Avatar will continue to dominate the coming weeks as it closes in on Titanic both domestically and globally.